The first thing I did was to save my Snapchat story on my iPhone before it expired and disappeared forever. Stories disappear after 24 hours.
Normally, I would copy the video from my iPhone to my computer. Then I would edit it in Adobe Premiere Pro CC and upload it to YouTube. But I wanted to see if I could edit everything on my iPhone and have the final result be close to what I was able to do on my computer.
If everything worked okay – and without a lot of hassle – I would know that I could do YouTube videos “on the fly”. I would like to increase my YouTube output in 2016, and being able to shoot, edit and upload videos when I was away from my computer would help with that.
Since I had been thinking about this for a while, I already had copies of my intro, outtro and additional credits placards .JPGs on my iPhone. These are title cards with my channel and social information on them.
Also, I had already downloaded music tracks from YouTube Audio Library to my computer. I used iTunes to load them on my iPhone. Tip: If you do this, add them to a separate Playlist (I called mine “YouTube”) so you can find and review them quickly.
I used the One Stop Photo Notes app to add titles and text to my intro, outtro and credits placards.
Now I was ready to edit. I used the Videoshop app for this. I imported the Snapchat story video into the app. The app has cut and trim functions, but I found the split video function to be more accurate. That could be just me, though.
Once I had the video split out into different scenes, it was easy to arrange them in the order I wanted by dragged and dropping them on the timeline. The YouTube video has some scenes in a different order than they were in the Snapchat story, but they flow much better. I also cut one scene that was also a total copy of another one.
I added the placards and the music next. It took me a few tries to figure out the volume control for the music. There is a little music note symbol on the timeline. Tapping it brought up the volume control, so I was able to lower the music so it did not overwhelm the voiceover.
I reviewed and adjusted the video many times, then saved it to my camera roll. At this point I used the YouTube app to upload the video to my channel.
The video came out well, but I did learn a few things:
First, the overall volume on the video was a bit low. I will increase it on the next video I do this way.
Second, I need to keep a copy of my show notes template on my iPhone. This is a document that has the info I always want in my video’s discription. This includes the general layout, all of my social media links, production notes (camera used, program edited on, etc.) and so on.
Third, I don’t think the YouTube app has as much functionality as the web version does. I need to dive into this more, but I have not found things like ad setup on it.
I plan to go onto the web version of YouTube and update the things I was unable to do or missed on the YouTube app.
Overall, I consider this expirement to be a total success. It was relatively easy to do everything from my iPhone. Now I know that if I want to do a quick video and post it right away I can, and it will have quality near to what I can do on my computer. I will still do the majority of my editing and uploads from my computer, but it is nice to have this option, especially when I am out and don’t have my computer with me.
Note about the blog post: In keeping with its theme, this blog post was written and posted from my iPhone. I used the Textastic app to write it and the MediaFire app to upload the pictures for it.